The acting Inspector General of Police (IGP), Mr James Oppong Boanuh, has said the Police Administration will not object to an independent DNA test on the skeletal remains found in a cesspit in Takoradi in the Western Region.
He said the police could not prevent the families from seeking a second opinion on the DNA tests conducted by doctors on the skeletal remains.
In an interview with the Daily Graphic in Accra yesterday, he said the docket on the case was being prepared for submission to the Attorney-General’s Office for further action.
Mr Boanuh, therefore, appealed to the public not to do anything that would mar or hamper the proper prosecution of all the suspects involved in the heinous crime of kidnapping and killing the four girls in Takoradi.
The DNA report on the four missing girls issued by forensic experts said the skeletal remains were those of the four girls who were kidnapped, but the families of three of the girls had rejected the report and asked for an independent DNA test before they could accept the police position that the girls were dead.
The three families are those of Ruth Abakah, Priscilla Bentum and Ruth Love Quayson.
However, the family of the fourth victim, Priscilla Koranchie, accepted the results of the DNA test and said they would wait for further details.
The DNA tests conducted on the four human remains discovered around a house once occupied by the prime suspected kidnapper proved that the girls were, indeed, dead, Mr Boanuh had announced at a press briefing in Accra last Monday night.
He said the families of the girls were informed about the results and, accordingly, expressed the condolence of the Police Service to the bereaved families.
“The Ghana Police Service has, with regret, therefore, informed the families that the remains are those of Ruth Abakah, Priscilla Blessing Bentum, Ruth Love Quayson and Priscilla Koranchie,” the IGP told the press.
He said the investigations also established that the girls were victims of a serial kidnapping and murdering syndicate that operated within the Sekondi/Takoradi metropolis, indicating that a total of four arrests had been made in connection with the incident.
“The investigations now establish that the girls were victims of a serial kidnapping and murdering syndicate that operated in the Takoradi area. While, for various reasons, we were unsuccessful in obtaining and acting on accurate actionable intelligence in good time to enable us to rescue the girls, we believe that the arrest of the culprits has effectively thwarted the ability of this syndicate to have continued with further kidnappings and murders,” he said.
The police announcement elicited strong reaction from three of the affected families, who insisted that the skeletons could not be those of their relatives.
They accused the police and National Security of doing a shoddy job on the case and demanded an independent DNA test to ascertain the veracity of the police claim.