President Yoweri Kaguta Museveni has said he will this evening address Ugandans on issues of security and the COVID-19 pandemic which has so far killed more than 200 Ugandans and infected 19,944 others.
“At 7 pm tonight, I will address the country on issues of security and the Covid-19 pandemic. Address will be on all TVs, radio station and online,” Mr. Museveni tweeted on Sunday.
During his campaign trail in Karamoja sub-region last week, Mr Museveni promised to address the nation every Sunday on the prevailing security situation in the country.
This followed riots that broke out in Kampala and other parts of the country after the arrest of National Unity Platform (NUP) presidential candidate, Robert Kyagulanyi alias Bobi Wine in Luuka District.
The weekly address that had been scheduled to start on November 22, 2020, was, however, deferred under unclear circumstances.
During his campaign trail, a tough-talking Museveni scolded the protesters to stop playing with fire and reminded those attacking civilians that he is a skilled fighter.
He said the protesters were “being used by outsiders … homosexuals and others who don’t like the stability and independence of Uganda. But they will discover what they are looking for. We shall not tolerate confused people. They are playing with fire”.
Police said 50 people had died in the riots and several others left fighting for their lives in the hospital.
However, the President also made it clear that the people who died in the protests would not be compensated.
Mr. Museveni was campaigning in Kotido District where he warned that with time, the protesters would disappear from the streets because the National Resistance Movement (NRM) party knows the art of fighting correct wars.
“Those who have been attacking NRM people in Kampala, they will soon lose that appetite. You will see a uniform of NRM, you will lose apatite to touch it. Even if they abandon it there, you will not be able to touch it. They have entered the area we know very well, of fighting and they will regret,” he said.
Meanwhile, today’s address comes hours after the Ministry of Health on Saturday said the total virus deaths had risen to 201 with four more fatalities as the number of Ugandans infected also increased by 356 new cases to 19,944.
So far, 8,944 people who previously tested positive for Covid-19 since March this year when the virus outbreak was confirmed in the country have recovered and have been discharged from hospitals across the country.